-

Monday, June 27, 2011

Deadman - My favorite Super Hero


My favorite characters usually fall under certain themes, like -
supernatural types like Dr. Strange - The Spectre - Dr. Fate



and hard-boiled mystery men like Rorschach - The Question - The Sandman (Golden Age)



So I guess it's no surprise that my favorite character is a combination of these and yet very different from these at the same time.


Deadman was born Boston Brand, a tough talking, hard drinking, cocky star attraction in the Hill's Bros Circus until disaster struck, he was shot dead by a sniper. Oddly he didn't move on from the earthly plane like most dead people do, instead he stayed on Earth and was given the power, by Rama Kushna, to take over peoples bodies so that he could find his killer.


The thing that drew me to this character most was the art by Neal Adams who drew the early issues in Strange Adventures. As most of you know Neal Adams is one of the all time greats in the field of comic art and personally I consider this very early, very experimental work of his, some of his best! As for experimental, check out this trippy page that Neil drew of Deadman's meeting with his patron god, Rama Kushna -


I also really like Deadman's look. I think the costume that Carmine Infantino created for him is one of the best out there. I love heroes with solid red suits like Daredevil and the addition of the death-like mask just makes whole thing work.

Unfortunately, since Adams departure from the character, no one has seemed to know what to do with him .Even Neil didn't really know what to do with him I mean what do you do with a immaterial hero? It's hard to put him in any kind of danger isn't it? And the vengeance scenario could only work for so long.



There have been a few takes of Deadman that I didn't care for, mostly in the 90's when they had to make everyone "dark". Mike Baron and Kelly Jones did a version of Deadman where they put him into a horror type book. Well, not being crazy about horror, it's no wonder I didn't like it.

The other one I don't care for is the Kingdom Come version by Waid and Ross.



Don't get me wrong. I love Alex Ross's work, and loved Kingdom Come, it's just that this is not the Deadman that I know and love.

One of my favorite takes on Deadman wasn't published in a book. It was by Mignola who did a few covers for the 2002 short lived series. Even though he didn't illustrate the stories his covers spoke volumes, as much or more than the interiors. They have a haunted feeling about them that speaks to you even though you don't quite know what they are saying. If only we could get some issues of Mignola Deadman!




As far as DC characters go, they made the same mistake with the Spectre that they did with Deadman, they took him out of his street-wise tough guy persona and made him a vehicle for some nameless faceless entity. For Deadman as well as the Spectre, I'd like to see them go back to their street smart tough guy persona. Deadman can be a protector of the circus occasionally venturing off into the realms of the dead and unknown, but leave him the tough, street smart, wise-cracker that made him so attractive to begin with.



6 comments:

  1. Love the Kelley Jones one best . Most original take by a most original artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever read the Deadman stories from the Dollar Comics version of Adventure Comics? It was written by Len Wein with art by Jim Aparo and then J.L. Garcia Lopez. It was the next best thing to the Adams version imo!

    Cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great call! Yes, I agree 100%! The art work was wonderfully close to the original Adams work and the stories hung around the circus which is where I think it aught to be.
    Whenever Deadman has strayed too far from the circus the concept seems to get lost. In my mind they should have kept Cleveland alive and made Boston a kind of guardian angle of him and the whole circus the way he was in the earlier stories by Adams and crew. The whole Nada Parabat story line in vol. 2 and the guardian of the dead in "Dead Again" I felt was a misdirection for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wish right now is that God should continue to bless Dr Emu for his good works towards the life of those people who are heart broken. My name is Michael DeBruin and I am from the USA, it's been a while since my lover's attitude changed from being the caring type she has been to me, but later turned out not to be caring at all. But not long, I later discovered that my lover was having an affair with someone else. and also she told me she doesn't need me after all we pass through then a friend told me about a spell caster. that with the spell I will get back my woman, I took his cell number then called him and also what's-app him which he reply to me and I did some sacrifices to the spell man and he bought the items for me which he used for the sacrifices and later called me that before 48 hours my love will come back to me and now we are more in love with each other than ever. you can reach him on WhatsApp +2347012841542 or reach him via mail ; emutemple@gmail.com , my lover returned back and broke up with the other guy she was having a relationship with... Thank you Dr Emu.

    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got diagnose of herpes virus last year, and i was taking some drugs prescribed for me by my family doc the drugs could not work and the herpes in my system was very terrifying that i was so depressed the good news is that i never gave up in searching for natural cure for herpes virus ,cause i believe so much in herbal medication.. One faithful morning i read a comment from a lady called Destiny Hudson on how she was cured with natural herbs made by DR.OYAGU from somewhere is West Africa, i immediately copied out his contact email via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com and explain all my herpes problem to him via his email. the big truth is that it took just two week for his herbal medication to cure me completely without side affect. Till date am herpes virus free and all thanks to Dr OYAGU for his good deeds for me, Once again am very happy to share this great testimony of DR OYAGU cure hurry up now and contact him via his email address (oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com Call & WhatsApp him on (+2348101755322 ) and see what he can

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was tested Hsv positive and ever since then i have been taking different kinds of medicine but yet no improvement until i saw testimonies on the internet of how Robinson buckler has been curing different people from different kinds of diseases, immediately i contacted him. After our discussion he prepared the medicine and send it to me, which i received and took according to his instructions. Now my doctor just confirmed me HSV2 negative. My heart is so filled with joy, thank you so much Robinson buckler for curing me. If you are reading this and you are suffering from HSV or any other disease or you want to fix your broken marriage/relationship or maybe get back with your Ex husband, Ex wife, Boyfriend or girlfriend you can contact this Email address: [Robinson.buckler@yahoo.com....Robinsonbuckler@yahoo.com]

    Acne
    Acromegaly
    Addison’s
    Allergy
    Alopecia Areata
    Alzheimer’s
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Anxiety disorders
    Aplastic Anemia
    Asthma
    Atopic dermatitis
    Autism
    Back Pain
    Bell’s Palsy
    Bronchitis
    Calcaneal spur
    Callosities
    Cancer
    Candidiasis
    Cardiac
    Carpal Tunnel Syndr
    Cellulitis
    Cervical Spondylitis
    Chalazion
    Actinic Keratosis
    Athlete’s Foot
    Fibroid Tumor.
    Enlarge Prostate.
    Erectile Dysfunction….
    Arthritis.
    Get ex lover back.
    The Opioid Epidemic.
    Obesity.
    Infertility/Impotency.
    Eye Problem.
    Cold Sores
    Dandruff
    Dermatitis
    Eczema
    Genital Herpes
    Genital Warts
    Hair Loss
    Erectile dysfunction
    Hives – Chronic (urticaria)
    Hyperhidrosis
    Impetigo
    Jock Itch
    Keratosis Pilaris
    Lice
    Lichen Planus
    Medication refill
    Melasma
    Milia
    Moles
    Molluscum Contagiosum
    Nail Fungus
    Poison Ivy
    Post Treatment Concerns
    Psoriasis
    Ringworm
    Rosacea
    Scabies
    Seborrheic Dermatitis
    Shingles (Herpes Zoster)
    Warts

    ReplyDelete